To follow up on Representative Ben Ray Lujan’s visit to Peñasco last Saturday to discuss the “repeal” and “replacement” of the Affordable Care Act I’m posting this legislative alert from Health Security For New Mexicans Campaign. Two Health Security Act bills have been introduced in the state legislature and HB 101 has passed its assigned committees and will come up before the entire House in the next few days. Health Security Supporters information on how to support this legislation is listed below. The full content of their alert can be viewed in the link provided.
Date: February 21, 2017
To: Health Security Supporters
Floor of the House!!
So, the Health Security Act (HB 101) has passed both its assigned committees in the house!
Thank you for your calls, your testimony, your work in spreading the word about Health Security–for all your help getting the bill this far.
The next step for HB 101 is a vote for passage on the floor of the house–that’s a vote by the entire house of representatives, all 70 members. The vote should take place in the next few days.
We expect the vote to be very, very close.
We have a lot to do, and we need your help!
Here’s the list:
1. Call key members of the house leadership. Ask them as leaders to please actively push for the passage of the Health Security Act (house bill 101).
– Rep. Brian Egolf (Speaker of the House): 505-986-4782
– Rep. Doreen Gallegos (Majority Whip): 505-986-4780
– Rep. Sheryl Williams Stapleton (Majority Floor Leader): 505-986-4780 (yes, same number as Rep. Gallegos)
– Rep. Nate Gentry (Minority Floor Leader): 505-986-4757
2. Call your own representative! If you’re not sure who that is, click here. On the “House of Representatives” side of the webpage:
Choose “Search by Name, District, or Your Address.”
Type your address into the “Your Address” field.
If you’re having trouble, email us (email@example.com) with your address, and we’ll help.
Ask your representative to vote for the Health Security Act (house bill 101) on the floor of the house.
3. Start calling or emailing everyone you know, and ask them to call their representatives! (A good introduction to the Health Security Act can be found here.)
And, of course, plan to view the floor debate. Come to the state capitol and watch it in person from the gallery, or watch it live online. We will let you know as soon as we have more information on timing.
If the bill passes the house, it then goes on to the senate. If that happens, we will give you more information about what will happen in the senate, since there is a companion Health Security bill (SB 172) on the senate side.