Santa Fe National Forest announced on March 5 that the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Southwest Jemez Mountains Landscape Restoration Project is available for public comment. La Jicarita has been covering this controversial project since it was first introduced to the public during the scoping period in 2012. We will publish a review of the DEIS in the next few weeks.
The project area is the upper Jemez River watershed, including the Valles Caldera National Preserve, a portion of Santa Fe National Forest, and state, private, and tribal lands.
Santa Fe National Forest will hold three open houses to provide an overview of the DEIS the week of March 10:
• Thursday, March 13, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, AERMIND Risk Training Center, 502 Cedar Drive, Santa Ana Pueblo, NM 87004
• Friday, March 14, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, Santa Fe Community College Board Room, 6401 Richards Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87508
• Saturday, March 15, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Valles Caldera Science and Education Center, 090 Villa Luis Martin, Jemez Springs, NM, 87025
The public has 45 days to comment, starting from February 28, the publication date of the DEIS in the Federal Register. The document is available at http://go.usa.gov/BUVh (scroll down to the Analysis section at the bottom of the page). Hard copies can be obtained by calling Chris Napp at 505-438-5448 or visiting the Santa Fe National Forest Supervisor’s Office, located at 11 Forest Lane in Santa Fe, or the Jemez Ranger District Office, located at 51 Woodsy Lane in Jemez Springs.
Comments can be submitted the following ways:
• Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments can be included directly in the body of the e-mail message or as an attachment in Word document format (.doc, .docx), portable document format (.pdf),rich text format (.rtf), text (.txt), or hypertext markup language (.html).
• Mail to: SW Jemez Mountains Landscape Restoration Team,11 Forest Lane, Santa Fe, NM 8750
• Fax to: (505) 438-5390
• Hand-deliver to: the Forest Supervisor’s Office or the Jemez Ranger District Office during business hours, 8:00am to 4:30p.m, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Hand delivered comments must be provided to the Forest Supervisor’s (Responsible Official) office during normal business hours, or at an official agency function (i.e. public meeting) that is designed to elicit public comments.